Monday, July 21, 2014

Book Review: God's Smuggler


Review by Elinor
Title: God's Smuggler
Author: Brother Andrew with John and Elizabeth Sherrill
Rating: 4/5

Plot:   Andrew is confused by the faith that he was taught growing up. He abandons it and goes in search of what he hopes is an adventure. But when he is injured, and has plenty of time on his hands as well as a Bible, he learns just exactly what Christ has done for him and how much He loves him. He then returns home and learns more and more about God, then learns that he is called to be a missionary. With a significant amount of faith and trust in God's care for him, he dedicates his life to bringing God's word to those who cannot get it easily or safely; specifically, the communist countries where Christianity is severely persecuted. Throughout his life, he smuggles Bibles and supplies to fellow Christians in need, no matter how dangerous it may be.

The plot of this book was amazing! It was really a man's entire life story that was able to be told in a short amount of time. And the whole book really had one bottom line: trust God with everything you have.

Characters: I felt like I was able to connect to the characters and get to know them very well in a short amount of time. You were really able to see each person's struggles as well as their blessings, and it they made the story all the more inspiring!

Emotions: Like I said, this book was very inspiring. It really made me sad when I realized how many people in this world don't have the freedom that I do to love God freely, and it made me thankful. It was also joyful to watch a man do what he was created to do, and love doing it. 

My Thoughts:I had to read this book as a school assignment, and at first I wasn't so sure I would enjoy it. After reading it, I realized that I really did enjoy it! This book was very inspiring and challenged me to trust in God's timing and provision. It was amazing to see how Andrew changed throughout his life by following God's plan; and amazing to see how many lives he was able to touch. The only thing I didn't love about this book was the amount of suspense. I really hoped that this book would be suspenseful all the way through, but there was a part every now and then that wasn't very exciting. I would, however, recommend this book to anyone ages 10+. Not because there was any content that was too mature, but just because I think that someone 10 or older would better understand this book and it would hold their attention.


2 comments:

  1. Have either of you ever read The Lord of the Rings books?
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings Trilogy are on Elinor's list!
      -Elinor and Marianne

      Delete