Monday, July 14, 2014

Book Review: City On Our Knees

   Hey, everyone! I missed ya'll so much! Elinor and I had great Summer and enjoyed some relaxing time home, and later a visit to our cousins' house! How has your Summer been? Anyway, I thought I'd start back with a book review!


Title: City On Our Knees
Author: TobyMac
Rating:5/5
Age Recommendation: 12+

Plot: In this book, Christian musician TobyMac shares the stories that have inspired him most over the years. The stories are all very, very different, but they all have one thing in common: They all encourage you to "step across the line", or, step out of your comfort-zone and do what you know is right. The message that this book is trying to send is that God made us all different for a reason. He gave us different strengths and weaknesses, likes and dislikes and he has a special purpose for each of us. We must however, be willing to do whatever God asks of us because He wants the absolute best for us.

Quality: I thought this book was very well written and interesting. I have never read another book like it, and I thought TobyMac did a great job! You could tell he had done research and poured a lot of time and energy into writing it.

My Thoughts: I just loved this book! I thoroughly enjoyed it, and was a bit disappointed when I finished it! I would definitely recommend it to many, but probably mostly to a 12+ audience because there were a couple chapters that would be a bit difficult for younger children. These chapters included one that describes a man trying to end human trafficking. It describes him accidentally walking into a brothel, and what he saw there. I skimmed over that paragraph just to be safe, but what I read didn't get too descriptive. Another slightly bothersome chapter described an area in which murder was very common. It spoke of a prison that many of the killers were put into and how awful it was. The point of sharing the details of the prison was mainly to show how much we need Jesus, and it did just that. As I said before, I would highly recommend this book as it is has a very inspiring message that causes you to evaluate your own life in many areas.



   


2 comments:

  1. I had not idea TobyMac want an author! Cool!
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he's very good! You should really read this book, it's great!
      -Marianne

      Delete