Thursday, July 24, 2014

Book Review: Found: God's Will


Title: Found: God's Will
Author: John Macarthur
Rating: 5/5
Age Recommendation: 12+

Plot: Found: God's Will is a book that explains how to really know what God wants for you. John Macarthur takes you through the 5 s's it takes to understand God's will for your life: Saved, Spirit-filled, Sanctified, Submissive, and Suffering. After you have done these five things, the final step may catch you by surprise!

I ADORED this book! My youth pastor recommended it about 2 months ago and I was very eager to read it! This book is very short: only 75 pages long! But it is also very profound! Every single chapter was PACKED with encouragement! It is definitely a must-read!

Quality: I had never read any of John Macarthur's books before this one. Let's just say, I am going to read as many as I can get my hands on! Macarthur did an amazing job with this book, it was very well put together and inspiring!

My Thoughts: If you haven't read this book you really should! It is a very encouraging book that I think would be very helpful to teens and adults! I loved this book and I will definitely read it over and over and over again!




Favorite Quote(s):

"The Spirit-Filled life yields every decision to the control of the Spirit."

"When Peter was filled with the Holy Spirit, he had the same power as when he was standing next to Jesus Christ!"

"The more you study the word of God, the more it saturates your mind and life."

"Real greatness centers in being of service to others."

"We are to suffer, not because we have failed to be the right kind of person when we were younger, not because we are antagonistic, grumpy, grouchy, or out of whack somewhere, but we should suffer for doing what's right."

"If you are a Christian who is living a godly life in an ungodly world, you will suffer."


4 comments:

  1. Hello Dashwood Sisters! I have just found your blog, and I love it! I have read many of the books that you have recommended. I also have a blog, jubilantjoys.blogspot.com and would be honored if ya'll would come stop by every once in a while! Sincerely,
    Abi Ant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't get me wrong but this book sounds like it's saying, "In this book find the 5 easy steps to God's will." It seems to me that the book says that these 5 steps are the key to finding God's will even though truly it's not that easy. I don't know the whole purpose of the book, but this was what I got out of yours description.
    Clara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Clara! Thank you for your comment. One of the main points that is stressed in this book is we shouldn't feel like we are having to "search" for God's will. That implies that His will for us is lost and we are trying to find it. Here, read this quote:
      "Let's begin with a simple assumption. Since God has a will for us, He must want us to know it. If so, then we could expect Him to communicate it to us in the most obvious way. And how would that be? Through the Bible, His Revelation."
      This statement implies that He has a will for us and it can be known, we must, however read His word (one of the ways He speaks to us) to know it. Also, "Found: God's Will" isn't telling you which college to go to or which person to marry or things like that, but explaining to you that God's will is for you to be Saved, Spirit-filled, Sanctified, Submissive, and Suffering. Now, pause for just a moment. Macarthur is NOT saying that God wishes you harm or enjoys seeing you hurting, not at all! What he is saying is that if you are living a pure life in this terribly impure world, you are going to suffer. And that is a good sign. It means you are going in the right direction. Just think about how much Jesus suffered.
      Again, I suggest that you read the book yourself, and I really appreciate your comment!
      -Marianne

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Marianne! I think I understand it better now!
      Clara

      Delete