Saturday, March 15, 2014

Book Review: The Magician's Nephew


Review by Marianne
Title: The Chronicles of Narnia: Book 1, The Magician's Nephew
Author: C. S. Lewis
Rating: 4/5
Age Recommendation: 12+

Plot: Digory is living with his Aunt and Uncle because his mother is terribly sick and his father is in India for his job. He meets a little girl named Polly and they become good friends. Eventually, the naughty children find their way into the attic in which Digory's uncle spends most of his time in. They find themselves magically transported to a world very different than our own; and are so curious, that they accidentally release an evil witch from her enchanted sleep.

I kind of already knew the story of Narnia, but I didn't know many details so, the other day I decided to read the whole series. The Magician's Nephew I think, is mainly just a book to get you ready and explain the origins of the books to come, however, it is very entertaining and I would highly recommend it!

Characters: I really liked the characters in this book! Having seen the movie of The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe I had already "met" Digory as he is the old man that takes the children in. I really enjoyed getting to see how he originally found Narnia and how he came to get that magic wardrobe!

Emotions: Overall this was a very fun-filled and kid-friendly adventure! I really enjoyed reading it and as I said before would highly recommend it! 

My Thoughts: I loved this book! The only reason I rated it 4/5 instead of 5/5 is because, like I said before, I felt that it was just kind of setting the tone for the rest of the books. It was kind of short and altogether, is mainly about Narnia's creation. Nevertheless, it was very fun, and an awesome read!

Favorite Quote:
"She has won her heart's desire; she has unwearying strength and endless days like a goddess. But length of days with an evil heart is only length of misery and already she begins to know it."





No comments:

Post a Comment