Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Book Review: Serenity Series

Review by Marianne
Title: Serenity Series (all 10)
Author: Real Buzz Studios
Rating: 4/5
Age Recommendation: 12+
Plot: Serenity Harper has quite an attitude. She is a teen girl who doesn't really have anyone but her Mom. Her Mom isn't a good influence so Serenity is a big troublemaker. When she moves away from her home in California and starts going to a new high school, a youth group that also attends the school notices her. They realize that she needs help. God's help. So they begin the long journey of bringing her to faith. It isn't easy, and it's a learning experience for all of them, but they accept the challenge with open hearts.
I enjoyed this series very much! The plot was very good and I liked how much God was referenced. I also liked that it was written in a comic book form. Since I don't read many comic books this was a real treat!
Characters: The characters in these books were really good! My favorite character was probably Lori (A girl in the youth group.) She was really mature for her age, and she was just a really good friend to everyone. I also liked seeing Serenity and her Mom trying to work through their struggles and disagreements.
Emotion: These books were very inspirational! I was entertained while reading them and I loved the entire series.  They were also super funny. I have read the whole series from beginning to end 2 or 3 times.
My Thoughts: Overall this is a great series to read! However there are a few things that I was uncomfortable with. There were several times throughout the series that some of the characters mentioned drugs, alcohol and things like that. Serenity did cuss quite a bit in the first book but it was always covered with a little green bar so you didn't have to read it. I would recommend this series, just to an older audience (like 12-18 or something). I would also recommend doing what I did, buying the first 2-5 books to see if you like them and then buy the rest. This just seems like a better decision to me because there are 10 books in the series.

List of books in this series:
#1 Bad Girl in Town
#2 Stepping Out
#3 Basket Case
#4 RAVE-n-rant
#5 Snow Biz
#6 You Shall Love
#7 Space Cadet vs. Drama Queen
#8 Sunday Best
#9 Choosing Change
#10 Girl Overboard



No comments:

Post a Comment