Friday, August 1, 2014

Book Review: The Miner's Lady


Title: The Miner's Lady (Land of Shining Water Series)
Author: Tracie Peterson
Rating: 5/5
Age Recommendation: 12+

Plot: Chantel Panetta returns home from a year long trip to Italy, to find her younger sister, Isabella, in love. This should be thrilling news, but it's not. Isabella is in love with a Calarco. The Calarcos and Panettas have been enemies for years. When Isabella asks Chantel not only to keep the knowledge of her growing affection for Orlando Calarco a secret, but also to help her continue their secret meetings, Chantel is very reluctant. However, she soon meets Orlando's older brother, Dante Calarco, and finds herself feeling unexpected emotions for him. But how could the two blossoming relationships continue to grow as long as the families keep feuding?

I thought this book was great! I had never read any of Tracie Peterson's books before, but I knew she had a ton. I can't wait to read more of her work and will certainly keep my eye out for more of the Land of Shining Water Series!

Characters: Where do I begin? The characters were beautifully crafted and portrayed in a way that you felt like you'd known them forever without having pages and pages to read about their looks and personalities. It was clear from the start that Isabella was a sweet, cheerful young woman, and Chantel was sensible and kind-hearted. Both young ladies loved the Lord, and did their best to please Him. Orlando was a very passionate man who stood up for what he believed in, no matter the price, while Dante was rather stubborn and gruff but had a soft-spot very few got to see.

Emotions: This book was awesome! It may sort of sound like a Romeo & Juliet re-make, but while there are some similarities, it's not directly a re-telling. There were a few times that this book make me laugh out loud!  Most of the time, the person I found humorous was Dante, as he was so stubborn, grouchy, and serious about some things that it was just kind of funny!

My Thoughts: Ok. I bought the book on Monday and finished it on Thursday. I didn't read it at all on Wednesday because we were so busy. That's how quickly I devoured it! Like I said, I can't wait to read more of Tracie Peterson's books. The romance level is p e r f e c t. It's sweet and romantic, but not over the top and silly. The reasons for my age recommendation are as follows:
-There are a few scenes in a bar.
-In two of those scenes a man is injured.
-Two men are killed and one of the scenes gets slightly descriptive. Not too descriptive, but it lets you know how the dude died and it's kind of gruesome.

I felt those scenes were mostly necessary to the story and those were really the only kinda inappropriate parts. Anyway I would definitely recommend this book to any Christian Fiction fan! I simply loved how much the Lord was talked about and glorified in The Miner's Lady!

Favorite Quote:
"Stay close to God, Orlando. If you draw near Him and Issy does likewise, you will find that you draw closer to each other, as well."




No comments:

Post a Comment