Friday, January 3, 2014

Book Review: The Bronze Bow



Review by Marianne
Title: The Bronze Bow
Author: Elizabeth George Speare
Rating: 5/5
Age Recommendation: 10+
Plot: Daniel bar Jamin hates Romans. Especially after witnessing his father be crucified by them, when he was just a little boy. Now he lives in a cave with a large band of outlaws. He believes that Rosh, the leader of the outlaw band is going to free him and all of the other Jews from the Romans. But when his grandmother dies, Daniel is forced to leave his carefree life in the cave behind and take care of his sister who is greatly troubled by demons. While in the town he starts to build a group of young men to help Rosh, but when he meets Jesus he is confused by him. Why does this man speak of loving the Romans? And why doesn't use his power to free God's people?

This book was great. Actually, I had to read it for a school book study, and  enjoyed it so much that I had to write a review. I enjoyed watching Daniel struggle with understanding love, and how to apply it to his life. This book was extremely pleasing and I absolutely loved it!

Characters: I loved all of the characters in this book. They were brilliantly developed, and easy to attach to. One of my favorite characters was Malthace (The sister of a young man that joins Daniel's group of boys.) She was so kind and patient and sweet.
Emotion: This book was pleasantly entertaining and amusing. There were several touching scenes, (one of which brought tears to my eyes. ;)). There were also many heroic and/or dramatic scenes that really kept me interested.
My Thoughts: Overall, this is one of my absolute favorite books. The author did such an amazing job with her scene descriptions! I loved every single moment and would recommend this to absolutely anyone. I really liked how the author didn't describe exactly what Jesus looked like (for none of us know) but described the power and greatness that you could tell he had just by looking at him.
Favorite Quote:
"Hate does not die with killing. It only springs up a hundredfold. The only thing stronger than hate is love."


No comments:

Post a Comment