Thursday, October 3, 2013

Book Review: Stealing the Preacher

Hello! I have a book review to share today.

Review by Marianne

Title: Stealing the Preacher
Author: Karen Witemeyer
Rating: 5/5
Age Recommendation: 12+
Plot: Crockett Archer plans to become a preacher in the Piney Woods of Texas, but on his way to be interviewed, he is abducted from the train! The outlaw responsible brings him to his daughter Joanna, unaware of the reason she wants a preacher.
Joanna Robbins has prayed for a preacher. She needs someone who is willing to help her fulfill the promise she made to her late mother, just before she died: Help her father learn to love and have faith in God. But when she believes her prayers have been answered, she discovers that the man does not wish to preach there, but somewhere else. She then must try to convince him to stay.
This book is definitely a favorite! It was sweet, touching, and exiting. The amount of humor in this book was perfect! There were several times that I found myself laughing out loud (with no one else in the room!) The mood that this book created was very fun and heartwarming, but serious when it needed to be. A book I'm sure I will read again.
Characters: I loved all of the characters in this book. Crockett was sweet and Joanna was sassy, while her father was stubborn and competitive. All of them were very well developed and easy to attach to. 
Emotion: This book was very entertaining. Overall I would call this a humorous story, but there were a few sad or serious scenes. A book I would (of course) recommend to many, many readers.
My Thoughts: I absolutely loved this book! It was one of those that I didn't want to end. There was only one part that bothered me. One of the characters got injured and a surgery was performed. The surgery got a little... descriptive and I did want that scene to end. I am easily bothered by blood and wounds though, so I don't think this would bother too many people.

   
Favorite Quote:
"'It doesn't hurt, Silas,' he told me. 'It doesn't hurt to go to heaven.'"
 

No comments:

Post a Comment