Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Book Review: Growing Up Duggar


Review by Marianne
Title: Growing Up Duggar
Author(s): Jana, Jill, Jessa, and Jinger Duggar
Rating: 5/5
Age Recommendation: 12+

Plot: The four oldest Duggar girls, Jana (age 24), Jill (age 22), Jessa (age 21), and Jinger (age 20) open up and tell what life is like in the Duggar home. The theme is relationships and in each chapter, they discuss a different kind of relationship starting with Your Relationship with Yourself, and going on to Parents, Siblings, Friends, Guys, Culture, Your Country, and the World. They discuss each topic in full detail and explain their convictions, beliefs, and personal interests.

This book was AWESOME! I'm a pretty big fan of the Duggars and actually had the chance to meet them at a book-signing not too long ago. I loved being able to get a "peek" inside their lives and see what they had to say about all kinds of different things!

Quality: This book was very well written! You could certainly tell that they had spent a lot of time on it, and it was very easy to understand. It was written in such a way that I was able to pick it up and put it down when needed to without feeling like I would have trouble understanding it later. 

My Thoughts: I absolutely loved this book! They explained why they do what they do in a very non-judgmental way. I loved the whole book, but my favorite chapters would have to be Your relationship with parents, siblings, guys, and the world. It was really cool to be able to hear what they thought about those topics. I also enjoyed seeing what types of things they are interested in doing long term, and how they are using their personal talents and interests for the Lord. Jana involved in a young women's ministry called "Journey to the Heart", Jill is training to be a Midwife, Jinger ministers to juvenile detention centers, and Jessa is using her gifts of organization to bless her family and others. I would totally recommend this book to anyone as it is very easy to understand and very encouraging as well!

Favorite Quote:
"Freedom is not the right to do what I want, but the power to do what I ought."



No comments:

Post a Comment