Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Book Review: The Hobbit


Review by Elinor
Title: The Hobbit
Author: J. R. R. Tolkien
Rating: 5/5

Plot: Bilbo Baggins was a completely normal hobbit. He lived in his cozy hobbit-hole and all he wanted was to live the simple, quiet life of any other hobbit. He never asked for the adventure that he is quickly thrown into (thanks to the wizard, Gandalf). He embarks on a journey to assist a group of dwarves regain their kingdom by being their "burglar"; and along the way brings into his possession The One Ring of Power. 

I thought the plot of this story was absolutely amazing! It had so many twists that were completely unexpected, and Bilbo's over-all situation was quite funny. Tolkien truly knew how to weave a story together, and how to relate fantastical things to our own lives. 

Characters: I loved the way that there were so many different characters, who each seemed to represent a different part of ourselves. There really wasn't a way to relate to only one of them, because I was able to see a bit of myself (whether I liked it or not) in each one of the characters (ok, so Gollum was a bit harder to relate to, as was the Master of Lake Town :)). The depth that I got to know each of the characters is actually making me miss them now.

Emotions: Tolkien did a brilliant job of capturing nearly every emotion. Happiness, sadness, joy, anger, victory, defeat, fear, love, guilt, loyalty, and the odd feeling of coming home again after an indescribable adventure. One was truly able to feel each of these things with the characters, and Tolkien's writing style towards these feelings is so different than anything I've read before.

My Thoughts: This book is quite possibly the best fiction I've ever read, and I know it's one of those stories that I will always love. It truly awakened my imagination, and Middle-earth has become one of those places that I deeply wish was real (maybe not, if we're counting the dragons, goblins, and Necromancer ;)). I would probably recommend it for ages 12+, just because the writing style was so deep (which, by the way, was one of the main reasons that I loved it so much), at some points it felt like you almost had to translate it. I just think it would better hold the attention of a 12+ audience, unless you're just way above your average reading level. Thank you so much Mr. Tolkien for sharing your incredible imagination with the world!

Favorite Quotes: 

"Then something Tookish woke up inside him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking stick"

"I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging,"

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world"



No comments:

Post a Comment